Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Dark Day

 
     A couple of years ago I attended my first Good Friday service. Almost sounds bad to say, but I enjoyed it. It was very moving and emotional for me. Unfortunately it was the last one our town had, and I have not gotten the guts to go somewhere else for another one. If you have never been to a Good Friday service I strongly suggest you go to one. I was asked to participate by reading some scripture during the service. I was so excited!
 
     In typical noob-Christian fashion I "knew" Christ died on the cross for my sins. It wasn't until I was asked to stand in front of a bunch and people and read Mark 15:17-20 that I truly realized that He died because of me. Not just for me, but because of me. Now listen- we are not meant to live our lives with this guilt! Christ never intended our lives to be lived in indebtedness, but I do believe that it is important that as we grow in our relationship that we realize the importance of this.
"They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. And they began to call out to him, “Hail, king of the Jews!” Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him."    -Mark 15:17-20
     It's not just that he was put to death by unimaginable pain, but he was mocked and made fun of. I could not stop myself from crying while trying to read this in front of everyone. It hurt. It still hurts. I look at others who don't realize the importance of this and I get upset. His death was not simple or quick.  To look up in the faces of those I assumed to be "mature" Christians and see that they never realized what He endured for us... all because of me... and because of you. How does that not make you want to change? Maybe I'm crazy, but it makes me want to prove that He didn't do it in vain.


No comments:

Post a Comment