Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What is in a name?

"As Baptists clarify the distinctiveness of our identity it can become merely a principle of exclusion rather than invitation. Which is why the Baptists are the most diverse group of Christians. Today it is impossible to speak of "the Baptist tradition" as there isn't much past baptism by immersion. Therefore, it is a mistake to focus too much on denominational distinctives."  -The Baptist Manual
 
     Hi, I am Connor's-Mom. Hello, I am Randy's-Daughter. Hey, I am Sarah's-Sister.
These are titles we're given in life, but what title do you claim? I don't "claim" I'm a Baptist. (I don't imply that in a negative way.) I claim that I am a Christian! Isn't that what it is really about? Being Christ-like, not Baptist-like or any of the other denominations out there. Like this author noted, we are trying to "clarify our distinctiveness." How inappropriate is that?! There is a time and place for our abilities as individuals that is why we are called to God. We all have a special purpose, but the point of serving God is not to exploit how special and singular we are. It is to be humble and bring it all back to God. By defining ourselves by the method of how we believe in God is divisive. That is not what Jesus asked of us, and that is not how we should be honoring/representing Him.
     It got me thinking... The early churches- do you think they were named? What would they have called themselves? If the names of what they specifically believed were so important wouldn't they have been mentioned in the Bible? Think about it, what was the church in Corinth called? Would they have been Baptist? Or Anglican? Or Friends? Does it really matter?!
     I have a lot of titles: mom, wife, daughter, friend, secretary, assistant clerk, student, employee, etc. The list can go on, but one title I wear with pride is Christian; not necessarily Baptist (again, not in a bad way). My goal in life is not to follow "the Baptists," but to follow Christ. What would happen to the physical churches if we removed humanity's need to "feel special?" We would have three churches in my hometown that should be consolidated into one honoring God. Celebrating how we individually worship- but not making the church about them! Just like with kids, everybody learns differently. Should we have classes segregated into how each child learns or do we just create a curriculum that benefits all children? That is why we have different forms of worship so that we have something for everyone.
     I remember being in High School and filling out college applications. Several applications I filled out listed on a page (full 8"x11" page) the different religions/churches for me to mark to help get a nitch into that college. I went up to my teacher and asked her what I should mark. She asked if I went to a specific church listed, and I said no. She asked what I believe, and I said that I believe in Jesus, God, and that they love and sacrificed for me (this was 11yrs ago). She said that it was best that I not mark anything because until I understood how I felt about little things like baptism vs. sprinkling, salvation, Old vs. New Testament, position of women, and communion it is not safe to say I am any of these things without claiming I something I am not. I asked her then, "Is there not just a church that believes in God and following the Bible?" She said that everyone has an opinion on God, and not every opinion I should agree with. That made me sad. I really wanted to say that I was a Christian, but in our world today (and 11yrs ago) that has turned into such a segregated classification.
     21 times Jesus said, "Follow me."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment