Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Bubby's First VBS!

VBS is this week, and I am so happy that my son is going!!
Being a small town, all three of our churches get together and plan/do VBS. It is awesome!
This year an awesome lady from the Methodist church put it together, "May the Faith be With You!"

 
To me this is huge and amazing for two reasons.
     1- I was saved at VBS. My parents were not church-goers; except Easter Sunday. Anyway, there was this older lady who lived in town (we lived on the outskirts), Nina Burnett, and she would always ask if my sister and I wanted to go and then she would pick us up and bring us back home. She was an amazing woman, and I never got to thank her before she went to be with the Lord.
         Her taking me to VBS is what fed my love of the Lord. I don't know what my life would be like without her and what she did for me, but I do know that because of her I firmly believe that VBS is a very fundamental and necessary project for all churches. I can remember being 8 and raising my hand that I believed in Jesus Christ and wanted to be saved.
     2- Taking my son to VBS has been an issue of discord between my husband and I the previous years. There was misunderstanding in our relationship when we married about where we were spiritually. I have been on a journey the past almost five years learning how to keep myself grounded and growing in the Lord while at the same time learning to married in this situation. My husband agreed that Bubby could go to VBS this week- it made me cry. This is something I have wanted so bad for my son. Not to "brainwash" him, but because he can have fun, learn, make friends, and lets be honest it gives Mom a small break.
 
Tuesday night Bubby made a lightsaber that says "Jesus is the light of the world."
He also got a little flashlight that has not left his hands since. Last night he learned about David and Goliath, and I cannot wait to hear what he learns about tonight! Maybe I sound selfish, but with working with the kids at church a lot it has felt really good to be able to utilize an event, and not work one. This is what I want our community to understand and feel. This is why VBS is so important!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment