Monday, February 29, 2016

What is there to eat?

 
     This is basically my special shelf of the pantry when I do a Daniel Fast. Please understand that there is so much more you can eat, but I am slightly picky. There should also be salad and canned corn and peas up there, but I was out and can not find any in the stores right now. (That's a paragraph found below.)
     My days have a pretty set routine when it comes to eating on my fast. Mornings I have apples and peanut butter. You have not had amazing peanut butter until you have tried Smucker's Natural- ground peanuts and some salt- that's it! It's what I buy all the time since the first time I fasted. Fruit makes up my breakfasts and my snacks. Apples are the natural coffee of the world, and no caffeine! Easy smoothies for me are pineapple, ice, and some coconut water. (Squeeze an orange and toss in a banana- even better!) I usually freeze the bananas and blend them afterwards then I have banana ice cream that I usually have to share with my son.
     Lunches are usually refried beans and rice. Maybe a rice cake or salad or more fruit, lol. The trick to buying refried beans is to always get the fat free! When you read the ingredients label they usually use animal meat fat- that's a no on the Daniel Fast. This is a good example on acceptable refried beans.
 
     Dinner in my house while I am fasting can be disjointed. I will usually make a soup for myself on Sunday nights and divide it up for the week. Meanwhile I am still fixing dinner for my hubby and son. My two favorite soups are black and white chili and a vegetable soup I modified from our beef stew recipe.
     FYI- Did you know that it takes 40 days to form a habit? Lent is 40 days... just an observation.
 
     Be careful when shopping! Always check the ingredients when buying anything on your fast. I always assumed canned vegetables were just that. Vegetables and water... that's how we canned growing up. That is not true of today's world.
^See. Canned peas contain sugar! A lot of canned vegetables contain sugar. Buying canned beans or potatoes- look at the ingredients they will contain chemicals "to keep them white."
 
     Stick to it! It is so worth it in the end. You will realize while shopping that being healthy is not cheap. That is the big struggle I have. My health- physically and spiritually- are so much more valuable! The blessing of discipline in God's name rewards with blessings!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment