Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick's Day!!!

 
I LOVE ST. PATTY'S DAY!!
 
     Otay, now that I have that out of the way, lol.  What is it about St. Patrick's Day? Should a Christian enjoy St. Patrick's Day? That's like suggesting we celebrate Mardis Gras- gasp!
     My maiden name is McEnulty and my mother's side is Wiley... very Irish roots over here. I have always loved St. Patrick's Day, and have always been very proud of my Irish roots (red hair, white complexion, freckles, and all). Last year I was working on putting together a "Blessed not Lucky" party for the kids at church when I learned so much about the truth behind St. Patrick.
     It's funny how America has turned it into a day to get drunk on green beer or a day to celebrate Irish heritage. Who knows what St. Patrick's Day was really? 
     St. Patrick's Day was set on March 17th, the day he died. "He drove the snakes out of Ireland." I can't count how many coloring pages I did on that growing up in school. Going at it from a Christian point of view though- what in the Bible does a serpent/snake represent? St. Patrick was given his sainthood for his missionary work in Ireland. He spread Christianity, and in the same token "drove out" pagan religions. That's what is meant by driving the snakes out of Ireland. He was converting people to Christianity from druidry, mainly. As he walked through Ireland preaching Christianity he used the shamrock, something which grows in abundance there, to teach about the Holy Trinity.
 
     I have never gone out on St. Patrick's Day beside lunch. Honestly, I try to be home as soon as I can on this day because drunk drivers do concern me. I do celebrate it though. I dress in green to the nine's and decorate the house to celebrate my Irish history. Since last year though it has taken on a new meaning... He was a missionary. A boy who was kidnapped and put into slavery. Who ran away when he felt the calling of God, and went on to become the largest Christian movement in Irish history! How awesome is that!!
     Have a smile today to know that 90% of the U.S. celebrates St. Patrick's Day and have no idea it's a "Christian" holiday. Know that they don't understand it. People today think they know our history- they don't. Be a missionary today... tell them what it's about. Is it time to drive the snakes out the United States....??
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment