Saturday, September 20, 2014

Why Not?

Today is the five year anniversary of my baptism!! It was an incredibly special day, and here is something I wrote a couple of months after it...

     I distinctly remember the morning of my baptism. While getting ready at home I received a phone call from a friend. After the pleasantries were exchanged I was asked, "Are you sure you want to do this?" I said, "Absolutely."
     "Why?"
     "I have to do it."
     "Is someone making you?" he asked.
     I paused at this, because my response was so automatic it startled me. "No one is making me do anything. I need to do this, something inside me says it's right. It feels like something will be missing until I do this."
     "Why?"
     I asked him, "Why not?" I literally mean why not?!
     I know that I have needed God for a very long time. It is something that I struggled to learn growing up. For a long time I felt drawn to be baptized, but I never understood it. I just knew that it was something my family had done when they were little and that I needed it done. Then when I finally learned of it, I didn't want to do it publicly. Honestly, I was embarrassed and partially thought that it was something just between me and the Lord. Then it was explained to me that baptism is a public declaration of my love for God. It made me think some more (which I do a lot of). Love is all He asks for. John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." I knew then that nothing would stop me from being baptized. God has loved through it all, more than once I know that God had to of had his hand on me to make it. I can give Him this! I have the need to do this, and it is my gift to give my heart to Him.
     I had to stop worrying about others opinions of my getting baptized. There were some close people that were not there for me on that day, but there was a hundred times as much happiness there with me that day. I had finally found that missing piece.
Does that answer your question?

No comments:

Post a Comment