Thursday, January 12, 2017

How Real is Real?


Question: How real do you want your Pastor?



Evidently this is a serious dilemma.
     Maybe I'm just a silly person, but I want a Pastor that is real. Someone who acts, preaches, posts, and talks like they've never struggled is a serious turn off for me. I want to hear the word of God from someone who has applied it! I am totally ok with knowing that my Pastor is not perfect and is a human being. In my life, that only reinforces Christ for me.

Why do we even learn about Christ?

To learn that He went through real things like us fallible human beings.
          So we can relate.
               So we can apply what He did.
                    So we learn and grow closer to Him.

     So... why would learning that your Pastor made a mistake or had "teenage years" or had a human emotion like depression make you think less of them? Doesn't that sound asinine and hypocritical? There is a defining line in whether they are teaching Biblical matters or having a human emotion. Don't confuse the two.
     We throw around the term forgiveness like confetti, but we seldom let our pastors have any. Why? Yes, they are to be held to a different level of accountability because they are teaching God's word and leading His sheep BUT, so are average-jo Christians. When you call yourself a Christian or claim God in front of another what you do in that situation is a teaching/witnessing moment to others. You are held accountable as well. Bad mouthing a Pastor about having a human moment is a very human moment on a bad level. What are you teaching others about you?
     Expecting our pastors to hide their life is horrible. How many times have you read about Christ being mad, sad, disappointed, unsure... Those sound very human to me. That sounds a lot like what I struggle with some days. Does that make me less? Why would that make your Pastor less?

     What forms the ideology that a Pastor cannot be human? I don't see where in the Bible that has a basis. When Christ came he was not impressed with the religious people of the day. He went out to the people who had made mistakes. He taught them. He ate with them. He let them lead and teach others. The man who wrote over half the New Testament, Paul, used to crucify followers of Christ!


*This has been an issue of personal self discovery and horror for me.
     Self discovery in the aspect that I have decided that I am going to be known as that real pastor. I cannot pretend to people that I never went through miserable situations or did things I am not proud of. How can I show what Christ did in my life if I was already perfect? I will talk about my sexy husband, the pains of raising a child, the struggle of coworkers, how depression stinks, and more. That is what God has gifted me with in this life, and that is what He uses to teach me His word.
     The horror of this situation is about what I am willingly walking into. Am I that crazy? I am appalled that this is an actual situation in life. I wonder and pray if I am strong enough to handle the attacks that people come up with. That people will use my own life against me, and I will love them anyway. That makes me sound mad as a hatter!
     It also teaches me that "The better part of Valour is Discretion." ( Spoken by Falstaff in King Henry IV, Part I, by William Shakespeare) Learning when, why, and how to share my truths will be the ultimate lesson. Rashness in the name of bravery will backfire. In the same token though, I am human and sometimes things happen. With the measure of grace and forgiveness I give I would hope to be given. Looking at how some pastors are treated in that regard I better protect my heart well and pray diligently.


No comments:

Post a Comment